NSF Upcoming Deadlines
1) In the PI’s initial email to Sean (one month prior to due date):
· Identify the NSF solicitation title and/or number (avoid only using acronyms, as this can get confusing).
· If it is a collaborative proposal, list the lead organization.
· Identify if IU is a subcontract to another university/organization, and provide contact information for submitting our proposal.
· If subcontract(s) are to be included in the IU budget, include the emails of key personnel from those organizations.
· Include the proposal title, or at least a working title.
· Provide the start and end dates of the project.
· Identify if the project is international in nature, and note this includes planned international travel.
· Identify any research risks (human subjects, animal use, biohazard materials, recombinant DNA) and if yes, provide status (pending, not yet submitted, or protocol number)
· If proprietary/privileged information is included (on the proposal, not the project data)
· If inventions will be conceived or reduced to practice during the course of work under this project
· Provide as much of the budget outline as possible, which Sean will incorporate into an Excel worksheet as the first budget draft.
· Let Ed Gentry know what kind of help you might like in grant writing and discuss deadlines.
2) Work with Sean to develop budget and finalize by 2 weeks before proposal
3) To be uploaded by Sean to Fasltlane for ORA 5 days in advance of deadline; Ed will set up Box folders that will include subfolders for various materials so PI can use this as a working document. This can be set up earlier—just ask Ed.
Budget: PI provides final budget to Sean 2 weeks prior to ORA due date
· Budget justification: Sean writes the justification based on the budget, and provides to the PI for review, unless otherwise instructed
· Bio sketch for each key and senior personnel: Sean provides the most updated copy he has for PI review, and editing
· Current and pending for each key and senior personnel: Sean provides the most updated copy he has for PI review, and editing
· Facilities, Equipment, and Other Resources: Sean provides this, unless otherwise instructed
· Subcontract materials: Sean provides an email detailing the requirements for each subcontract organization, and tracks receipt
o Budget, budget justification, bio sketches, current and pendings, statement of work, F&A agreement, support letter
· Initiated FastLane form: Sean sets up the FastLane form so that it is prepared for document upload and for the budget to be entered
4) Due to ORA (uploaded in FastLane) 2 business days prior to NSF due date:
· Project description
· Project summary
· References cited
· Mentoring plan (if postdoc included in budget)
· Data management plan
· Letters from advisory board members and project collaborators